2011年8月8日星期一

The best of the 80s


I had a ball watching a Top of the Pops 2 1980s special recently. People remember it as the decade of greed but as I was just a kid my take on it is much more positive.
The songs, from Making Your Mind Up by twee Bucks Fizz to The Only Way is Up by a hyperactive Yazz might be frowned upon by earnest muso types.
But they all form a soundtrack to my childhood and brought back happy memories of buying 7 ins singles and LPs, of bad dancing at birthday parties and school camp discos, of going on summer holidays and school trips.
I loved the bad miming, the DIY fashion and the absence of polished choreography and general pop star diva-ness. (Would Neil Tennant have made it as a chart-topping pop star today?)
Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s Relax seemed tame compared to Rihanna’s graphic, sex-obsessed songs and Christina’s lap dancing club...er, I mean X Factor performance.
And there was the lovely George Michael prancing about to Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. What do you mean he’s gay? Who knew?!
It’s all about perspective of course. Perhaps kids today will remember N-Dubz and Beyoncé just as fondly. But I feel a bit sad for them that they won’t have trusty TOTP to take them on a trip down memory lane.

没有评论:

发表评论